The Digilent Cmod S6 is a small, 48-pin DIP form factor board built around a Xilinx Spartan 6 LX4 FPGA. The board also includes a programming ROM, clock source, USB programming and data transfer circuit, power supplies, and basic I/O devices. There are 46 FPGA I/O signals that are routed to 100-mil-spaced through-hole pins, making the Cmod S6 well suited for use with solderless breadboards. At just .7” by 2.6” inches, it can also be loaded in a standard socket and used in embedded systems.
The FPGA on the Cmod S6 can be configured in several ways - from a PC using the on-board Adept USB interface, from a stand-alone programming cable attached to the 6-pin JTAG connector, or from the on-board Quad-SPI Flash memory. Configuration files can be programmed using Xilinx’s ISE 14.2 (or higher) development tools, using Digilent’s Adept system, or using older versions of the Xilinx tools if Adept is also installed. Xilinx’s ISE/Impact programming tool and Digilent’s Adept tool will recognize the board and/or FPGA when the board is attached to a PC using a Type-A to micro-B USB cable.
Xilinx’s iMPACT tool and Digilent’s Adept can both be used to program the FPGA and on-board QSPI ROM. Please refer to the ISE and/or Adept documentation for more information on using the configuration software.
- Xilinx Spartan™-6 XC6SLX4-2CPG196 FPGA
- 600 slices (each with 4 LUTs and eight flip-flops)
- 8 DSP slices
- 216Kbits of block RAM
- 2 CMTs (4 DCMs and 2 PLLs).
- 16Mbyte Spansion Quad SPI Flash for storing FPGA configurations and/or user data
- 46 FPGA GPIO signals brought to DIP pins
- Two on-board clock sources
- 4 user LEDs and 2 user buttons
- On-board Adept USB2 port for configuration, test and communications interfaces